October 8, 2008

Perpatrating Thoughts: Politics as usual

I love presidential elections, especially the debates. The spinning, the analysis, the polls, etc. are all enjoyable (especially since I don't take it overly seriously...heck, I wanted Ross Perot to be president way back in the day). An idea came to mind that has been perpatratin' my own thoughts. What if there was a candidate that was actually humble, honest, and had a disdain to finger point? How far could that candidate go in the current mud-slinging type of political environment? How nice would it be if a candidate openly admitted to mistakes, but pointed out lessons learned and ideas for how to avoid future mistakes. Instead of pointing out negative things from the other candidate, perhaps deeper explanations of the candidate's own proposed policies, ideas, or solutions. Instead of dancing around a subject, being honest with saying "I'm not sure, but I'll find out". Or, "this goes against popular opinion, but I think..." (with clear explanations). Wouldn't that be refreshing? And SNL could still perform comedic parodies of that candidate all in good fun.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I am so sick of candidats just using sound bites like "maverick" and "change, yes we can!" seriously? However past history shows that if candidates are honest and open- they get pounced on and lose. think Michael Dukakis, "yes I will raise taxes" and Jimmy Carter when he said something about "yes I have lusted before". . .