July 29, 2008

Perpatratin' Subject: The Cubbies

If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a Cubs fan. As the saying goes: any family that roots for the Cubs together, stays together. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure if Kari is on board yet. And I'm not sure why. I mean, she is into the Colts now (she's come a long way since thinking Manning's first name was Pete). She respects IU basketball, or at least the NCAA tournament (check past blog entries for evidence of this). She has a similar distaste for the bad boy Pacers at this point. Even the Indy 500...she's down for the get down. But my beloved Cubs! They gets no love from the boo. And I'm such a joy to watch Cubs games with during the playoffs (if joy means yelling, screaming, and long stares into space).

The Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908. This is the 100th year of failure. 100 YEARS!! I can't think of a better underdog story than the Cubs. Year after year of misery, with agonizing inconsistency. Another famous saying: if you don't know your past, you don't know your future. But what if...what if this is the year? (On the 100th anniversary year at that!)

So now the question is, do I try to get Kari excited? Do I get her emotionally involved? Do I let her experience the typical Cubs postseason heartbreak? It's almost like allowing a loved one to seriously injure himself/herself (one last famous saying: if you willingly allow a loved one to get hurt, then you deserve a punch in the balls). So, what do you think?

2 comments:

Kute by Kari said...

I have to say the following...

1. I did change the blog to the current background... that says supportive!

2. I do attend a Cubs game when asked and I do try to watch it.

3. I had Eli's picture taken in Cubs gear when Mike thought it was "their year".

However... to be honest, Mike is right, I just can't get into it. I think it is all the spitting (gross) and the fact they play about a thousand games a season. How can I get sad or excited about a win or loss when they will play again tomorrow and the next day and the next.

Anonymous said...

To give you a small clue: Kari shares an office currently with a die hard member of Red Sox Nation. Could it be that I am leaving her subliminal messages every day and her true hearts desire lies in Boston! I'm even considering creating a replica of the Green Monster on one of the walls in our office.......Go Redsox!!