June 30, 2008

Perpatrating Thoughts: Ohhhhh Poop

The English language is a funny thing. For example, the word “poop”. There is no word that describes itself better than the word “poop”. I recognize and respect this. However, I also think that it is the worst word ever created. How is it that words like “shi-“ and “crap” are considered curse words, but “poop” is not ? (some of you may NOT consider “crap” a cuss word, but growing up in my house, that word was not allowed…at least I don’t think it was…I never tested mama and papa censor on that one). Which leads me to this question…when did certain words become curse words? Did the word “shi-“ just automatically get assigned to this category? Is there a committee somewhere that decides this? (besides the FCC) Was “poop” ever considered before “shi” as the ultimate cuss word for feces?

I would like to start the movement where "poop" is considered a curse word...who's with me? And I would like be nominated to join the Curse Word Committee of the World (CWCW)...if it exists.

Also, the dictionary shows the word "poop" as a mono-syllabic word. I defy the person who can say this in one syllable. The second "p" always causes a second syllable to be heard (either "poopah" or "poopppp[spit in face]).

4 comments:

Giddy said...

Oh Kari, how funny you are.

Last things first. If poop is multisyllabic, then so is every other word that ends in P (Stop, Pop, cap, tap, etc.). I believe the linguists actually have a word for this, and it applies to lots of letters besides P. Americans tend to soften the sounds, so you can barely make out the final consonant, whereas people on the radio and English speakers in other countries tend to say them more clearly. (Think about how we say "little"--no T sound at all--and we carry that through to words that end in T too, like "spit"--not quite a D but not a "tuh" either.) Anyway. It's normal, whether you say Poopah or Pooppppttlplth or are able to say just poop. (The trick to the latter is to not re-separate your lips at the end of the word. Easy peasy.)

As to whether it's a cuss word, are you kidding? I thought it was MIKE who had an issue with the word. We need to have a word for it for dealing with our kids, and poop is way better than feces or BM. (Feces give me the heebie jeebies, and BM reminds me of a family I knew growing up who called farts "BM noises" which I thought was taking it a little too far!!)

However, if you insist that POOP is a cuss word, that would be ok, but the replacement word will be simply POO. That's what we say most of the time anyway. POO or POOPY. (or how about caca)

Whatever, they are only words, random letters strung together.

Whoa. That was a long comment. I'm pooped.

Anonymous said...

Giddy,
Just to clarify, Kari is unable to perpetrate anyone's thoughts...that's my job. Since I don't have administrative rights to the blog, i have to hack in as Kari. I have a feeling that she may be changing her password soon.

Kibs

Anonymous said...

wrong... just wrong on so many levels. If Eli starts talking and he tells me he shi* his diaper, I'll have to kidnap him and let the girls brainwash him with nicer things like rainbows and unicorns. And no, we could not say crap growing up. We couldn't even say fart, so there's no way we could get away with crap.

carol said...

Hey G-
You need to start a blog, your commentary on our language was fun to read.
Kari-
I really like the word poop. It keeps me from saying shi*. However, whenever I say poop I'm quite aware that I'm revealing my being a mother of preschoolers.